Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21

MLK, Jr. day AND inauguration day! Oh, my. So the last inauguration I was a junior in undergrad, and I knew it was significant and important, but I don't think I fully understood the impact of the event. However, THIS inauguration really got to me. I felt so emotional while watching it, so proud! I loved that a woman, Myrlie Evers-Williams, gave the invocation, I love that Sonia Sotomayor swore in Biden. I loved seeing Hillary Clinton and the Obama women, strong, beautiful, and successful women, stand in our nation's capitol. I loved that the Bibles that Obama was sworn in on were Lincoln and MLK, Jr.'s Bible's. Just so much of the day's event spoke to me. The commentators didn't think that Obama's speech was as powerful, but it spoke volumes to me. I looked like a crazy person cheering and yelling at my TV, but I don't even care. I loved that his call for unity and equality, for all individuals. It just made me so happy and hopeful that our country will become more open to progress and change and acceptance of everyone, regardless of gender, race, age, class, sexuality, etc. I'm hopeful that I will live to see a woman president. Today's event was just wonderful, and I'm glad that I was able to watch it and recognize the importance.

Today I worked on some thesis stuff, went to the gym, and basically ran errands and everything. I'm having my birthday party on Saturday and it's a "sparkle" theme. Really, I just wanted an excuse to wear a sequined shirt, but still, I thought it would be fun. I went to the dollar store and got glasses and have modge podged glitter on the bottom. I think they turned out pretty well. I'm excited. I'm just sad that it's supposed to be freezing and snow all week. That always happens on my birthday, one of the downfalls of being born in the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment