Saturday, August 29, 2009

the world i know

abby came over on thursday to hang out for a bit. it was nice to talk to her about project and everything that's been going on since then. she told me that i'll grow more in the next six months than i did my whole summer on project. i'm beginning to think that it's going to be a painful growing experience.

i don't know how i'm feeling. my heart hurts for the students here. for their need to get completely obliterated every night because that's what they think college is about. my heart hurts because that's what i used to think. that's how i used to be. there have been so many ambulances on campus this weekend just because of people being too drunk and getting sick. honestly initially it disgusts me. but then it makes me sad. i want everyone to learn everything that i learned this summer. i want them to turn to God to find satisfaction, not alcohol, or boys, or other empty things.

and the guys here make me so angry! some of the things that they yell to girls or i over hear them saying. ahh! no wonder girls here act like they do if they think that's all that they're worth. it's so depressing.

it's hard to experience something amazing and then come back to something not so amazing. plus i have so much stinking homework already. this semester's going to be tough.

however i did go bowling and to cook-out with cru on wednesday and met two freshmen girls who are super sweet. it was cool to get to know them and they're going to church with me and a few of my friends tomorrow. it made me happy because it reminded me of doing outreach at uic this summer, but it's even cooler because i can actually truly follow through with them here at my campus. it's not just hey! okay peace bye. i can actually build a relationship with these girls. and it's crazy because i never thought that that would be something that i would be excited about.

abby told me that i should read the book of john with this one question in mind: "is he who he claims to be?" her passion for Jesus truly inspires me.

on a completely random side note: owl city is coming to play in carrboro on sept. 11. i've recruited people and i'm totally going. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment