Monday, June 8, 2009

welcome to the windy city!!!

hey guys!

so today was my third day in chicago and can i just say that it is SO awesome!

my plane got in friday about 15 minutes early so i went to get my luggage and met the staffer who was there to pick me up, kate. she is super nice and just so energetic and excited about God that it's infectious. so after meeting up with two other students and the staffer who picked them up we got on the "el" (elevated train...it's chicago's subway system) and rode for about an hour to get to the apartment building where we're staying. it was so crazy because as soon as we walked in all of the staff was there to greet us and were cheering for us and everything. i was kind of overwhelmed!

so i checked in and everything, unpacked, and went to get lunch with a bunch of people. i was kind of nervous because they seemed to know each other already, but it was cool. it wasn't until about an hour and a half after i got here that i got to meet my roommates. but they are so awesome. i couldn't have asked God to have put me with better girls. they're just so encouraging and we all get along so well. it's only been three days but i feel like i've known them forever. crazy. i know.

yesterday was my first day really in the city. we went on a scavenger hunt in different areas. my group decided to go to the magnificent mile (which is a mile long of shopping!), the navy pier, and wriglyville. it was so cool just to get into the city. and we were broke up into different groups so it was cool to get to hang out with other people. the one guy in my group totally reminds me of josh fast. his mannerisms, the way he talks and carries himself...everything! and he's from ohio. wierd.

today i went to millennium park with one of the staff members, kristen, to practice sharing my faith. it was pretty scary since i've never done it before. just randomly going up to strangers and asking them about their relationship with God?!?!? what?!?!? but it was good. kristen was really encouraging and helped me out when i struggled. however i was lucky enough that all of the people i talked to were Christians...so we'll see how i feel about it after i've had a few tough encounters. but i'll get plenty of practice this summer!

tonight we had a womens' night and it was just so awesome to hear everyone sharing their struggles and to see how God compelled everyone to bond and share their stories. it was crazy. it's so strange to think that after only 3 days the relationships that i'm forming with these women are so strong already!

tomorrow we're going job hunting, so pray for me that i'm successful in employment! i'll post some pictures later. my internet connection has been screwy lately. i have to get someone who's tech savvy here to check it out for me!

1 comment:

  1. wowzers!! i love you boooo!!
    i am REAL proud of you for going and settlin' in.
    A MILE OF SHOPPING!! AHHHH!
    and sharing your faith! whoooohooo!!

    ReplyDelete